Tuesday, June 28, 2016

UnderCover Anti-Theft App for the Mac Starts Acting Up: The Problem and Solutions

By the recommendation of my friend Eric Cheng (a photographer, techno genius, and now a drone genius) I bought the UnderCover App for my Macs several years ago.  It was one of the first anti-theft applications for the Mac.  I've been impressed with it. 

Their website is at:
http://orbicule.com/undercover/mac/


From their site:

According to a recent FBI report, 97% of all stolen computers are never recovered. Many people we know have had their Macs stolen, often in 'safe' situations. That's why we developed Undercover: a unique theft-recovery application designed from the ground up for Mac OS X.

Undercover transmits location information from the stolen Mac. This information includes the coordinates from wireless location tracking, and the internal and external IP addresses, enabling the police to accurately trace the Mac's physical location, in collaboration with the Internet Service Provider.


I don't know how Undercover compares to other apps like Lookout or Prey.  I can tell you that it seems to work fine with my Macs,  unlike some free tracking apps that I've used (and paid for) which never seemed to work when I was testing them.   

Recently, however, on one of my Macs, I started getting notifications from Undercover every time I woke my Mac up from sleep.  It became incredibly annoying.  


I wrote them and (as always) very quickly received a reply:

Hi Norbert,

Thanks for reporting this! If the registration screen keeps popping up even after entering your account's details again, it's best to verify that Undercover has no problems uploading information to your account at undercoverHQ.com: has it recently submitted a location? (You can check that in the Info tab, under Status > "Located...ago".)

If that all looks OK, the easiest way to prevent the registration app from coming up again would be to remove it (this won't do any harm: you no longer need that app, as your Mac is registered just fine):

- Choose "Go To Folder" from the Finder's "Go" menu
- Enter the following path: /usr/local/uc/bin
- Remove the Undercover Registration app in this folder

Do not hesitate to contact me if you have further questions!

Kind regards,
Winnie


For me, the last step worked.  Thanks, UnderCover. 

No comments: