Thursday, January 19, 2012

Come On, Man! Amazon's Customer Centric Email is Decidedly NOT!!

Wow.  I've had a nightmarish experience with Amazon.  If you have a problem with Amazon that falls out of their ordinary customer service abilities, FORGET IT!!  Count on being sucked into a 21st-century vortex from which no customer satisfaction will be possible.

Here's my situation, and you have to love the ironic Amazon signature at the bottom of the email:

"Amazon.com
We're Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company"

Basically, I used Amex Rewards points to buy an item on Amazon. It should not have happened, but Amazon withdrew points to make my Rewards balance negative. A $25 purchase on Amazon will thus cost me $75 to clear off my Rewards Balance. I called Amex. They connected me to Amazon. Amazon kept sending me emails like the one below, which said they needed more information from me, but did not give me any way to contact them.

*********
Greetings from Amazon.com.
To process your refund for order 106-xxx-72343-333xx, we require some additional information regarding the payment method that we are attempting to use for the refund.

This refund is for the following item(s):
Item: SDHC card
Quantity: 1
ASIN: ASINBESDXXX
Reason for refund: Item billing error

Here's a breakdown of your refund for this item: Item Refund: $25.41

Thank you for your patience and assistance in this matter.

Sincerely, Amazon.com
We're Building Earth's Most Customer-Centric Company
http://www.amazon.com

Note: this e-mail was sent from a notification-only e-mail address that cannot accept incoming e-mail. Please do not reply to this message.

*****
So, Amazon needs more information from me, but does not provide any way for me to get this information to them. That's hardly "Customer-Centric."

Amazon is hell-bent on not allowing customers to call back or hold its representatives or supervisors accountable. It took me literally six calls and two emails to speak to four Amazon representatives and two supervisors to feel like I may have resolved this problem.


I am very hard of hearing, so I rarely answer the phone. Instead, I call someone back when I am at home and can use a special handset that amplifies calls. This presents huge problems when companies like Amazon and Comcast refuse to give ways to call them back. Comcast is the worst, but my experience with Amazon has shaken my faith in them.

No comments: